New gear from Mouser – a digital multimeter! This is getting serious!

In addition to the stuff from NKCelectronics I got in the mail yesterday, I also received a box from Mouser. It seems like Mouser and DigiKey both have similar things, but there are always parts that you can find at one and not the other, as was the case with the digital multimeter I wanted – the Extech EX330.

Extech 330 Multimeter

So – why did I choose this DMM?  Well, unlike some other people I know, I do not have ‘all too easy’ access to $400 Fluke MM’s a work.  I wanted something good enough for most everything, but I didn’t really want to spend a LOT of money on it.

After consulting the EE buddy, Nick, he said that the one nice feature I should look for on a low-mid range MM would be frequency.  The EX-330 has that, great.

It also has a couple of nifty features that are a bit more unusual for a DMM in this price-range – temperature probe and a non-contact voltage detector (for high voltage, above 100v).  That was pretty cool.

And of course, a more qualatative measure took a bit of weight in the decision process – I thought this model of MM looked nicer than some of the others in this segment.

I was perhaps a bit wrong on that estimation – I thought the MM was red and black.  As is plainly shown in the photo at right, they opted for a much more orange and green scheme which is a bit off IMHO – ahh well, they aren’t racing stripes so the performance will not be affected.

Aside from the DMM, the other parts I got from Mouser are not too exciting – yet.  The list includes some higher power n-fets and a couple of ICs for driving high power LEDs.  Hopefully these will be in action soon.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “New gear from Mouser – a digital multimeter! This is getting serious!”

1. stonechild April 25, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

That’s quite a multimeter. I bought mine on eBay for $7.69. No digital. I look at NKC a lot. I think I’m going to buy their . That will require that I learn a bit more about electronics or God knows what I will turn into fused junk.

2. stonechild April 25, 2009 at 1:43 pm #

I seem to have screwed up my link. Does WordPress allow you to edit your comments?

• jafoca April 25, 2009 at 6:41 pm #

Hey dude, nice to see you back!

I have been doing a bit of experimentation with a LCD display lately, hopefully I will post about it soon. Not terribly interesting, once I got the wiring done up correctly at least.

Anyhow, regarding your link – I am not aware of a way to allow edits of comments in WP. Can you re-post the link?

3. stonechild April 28, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

What I meant to link to was a $49.00 oscillloscope at .

4. stonechild April 28, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

What I was trying to say was: I think I’m going to buy the $49.00 oscillloscope at nkc electronics.

http:://www.nkcelectronics.com/digital-storage-oscilloscope-very-low-cost.html.

I had also mentioned RobotShop’s Robot Rover Kit.

Feel free to delete or edit my previous comments. I can’t seem to get the HREF tag to work. It’s grabbing whatever comes after the “>” as the title.

5. jafoca April 28, 2009 at 1:41 pm #

Cool dude! That oscilloscope is interesting for sure, you have to tell me how well it works once you figure it out. I don’t really even know what an oscilloscope is used for primarily at this time – i will probably get there eventually.

I too hope to build a robot sometime soon – I am thinking I might go for something like this R/C Tank tank for my chassis.

I have so much work to do lately, so I haven’t had much time =(

6. jafoca April 28, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

Ok I installed a new plugin so you should be able to use it better now.

Sorry about the issues!